Saturday, July 28, 2012

Baby Landon



Finally after 42 weeks of waiting, baby Landon made his big appearance. Luckily labor was quick at just over two hours and he was happy and healthy! We are adjusting to our new role as parents and I finally feel like I may have a moment to knit again in the near future.

The thing is, I'm not sure how great these hand-knit items are for babies. I mean, he poops or throws up on just about everything at least once and something as delicate as a hand-knit may not be up for the abuse. I'm afraid to even get him near most of the knit items I've made as I don't want to be stuck hand-washing and not all of them are meant for the washing machine.

SO... if you're making a gift for a baby, here are a few tips:

~ Make sure you use yarn that is machine washable, and virtually indestructible. Read the label closely as it should also be able to go into the dryer, even if it has to be on low. Hand-washing is just too much work with a new baby and no one is going to take the time to do it with all the other laundry and cleaning that piles up.

~ Use a yarn that is SUPER soft! I can't get over how velvety smooth and perfect my baby's skin is and the last thing I'm going to do it put on a scratchy knit item. The only hats I'd put on him are cashmere merino blends, or something equally soft. The organic cotton blanket is very soft also. If you're going to splurge on a nice lush yarn, this would be the item.

~ Even though it's taboo, I'd suggest using knots to secure your ends. Again, it just makes it stronger and more likely to hold up to the washing demands of babies. You don't want to have to worry about the ends unweaving each time it's washed and then starting to unravel – your piece will look shabby and possibly come apart.

I'll certainly be rethinking some of my hand-knit gift items and tailoring them more to the realistic, and messy, demands of a baby rather than my idealistic concept of baby items I had before!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! He is honestly one of the cutest babies I have ever seen... so stinking cute :)

    ReplyDelete